Upper School Newspaper of Stuart Country Day School

The Tartan

The Tartan

The Tartan

Students Cheer on Gotham FC at Red Bulls Arena

On Sunday, Oct. 15, a group of students attended the Gotham FC v. KC Current women’s professional soccer game at the Red Bulls Arena in Harrison, NJ. Gotham came out strong and had a 2-0 lead, but the Current caught up and tied it 2-2 after 90 minutes and 4 minutes extra time. The game ended at 2-2. Gotham FC qualified for the playoffs for the National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL).

During halftime, Stuart was announced as being in attendance and our school was broadcast on the screen!

At the end of the game, they honored Ali Krieger playing her final match today with Gotham FC. She received flowers and a jersey with the number of caps she has. Krieger gave a speech about how much she appreciates everyone who has helped her along her journey.

Elise Price ’24 was one of the Stuart athletes at the game. Price is an avid soccer player, and she gave some insight into the specific details of the players.

“Midge [Margaret] Purce played an amazing game and created lots of opportunities for her teammates to score after she had the first cap of the game,” Price started. “Midge scored in the 6th minute after dodging the Current’s defense and putting the ball in the next far post, past Franch’s [KC goalkeeper] grasp.”

Price then went on to talk about the second goal of the game scored in the 15th minute by Yazmeen Ryan. “She dribbled her way through defenders and had a beautiful shot on goal bouncing off the post and into the net,” Price said.

Price ended the conversation with Ali Krieger. “Krieger had an amazing defense game,” Price commented. “She made numerous saves and kept the energy up. She hustled during the entire game, playing balls through to her offensive line, creating opportunities to advance up the field. All her hard work in this game earned her the title of player of the match.”

When asked about the overall experience, Price concluded, “It was a great game, and it was fun to be able to go with my friends.”